An overbite is a type of malocclusion that involves the upper teeth sticking out beyond the lower teeth. The severity of an overbite ranges from light to severe and needs to be corrected as soon as possible. Allowing an overbite to go untreated can lead to a variety of issues such as difficulty chewing and speaking. Dr. Jacquie Smiles specializes in correcting an overbite with Invisalign clear braces for her patients in NYC. Continue reading to find out how Invisalign can successfully treat your overbite.
Watch how an overbite is corrected with Invisalign clear braces.
View the animation video below on how you can transform your smile with Invisalign treatment for an overbite with invisible clear braces.
What causes an overbite?
There are two types of overbites. A vertical overbite is when there is a significant overlap over the bottom teeth, and a horizontal overbite is when teeth are just a bit out in front of the bottom teeth. Skeletal or dental issues cause both overbites. Other common causes include tongue thrusting, excessive nail biting, poor oral habits during childhood, excessive thumb sucking, and problems with the developmental stage when jaw growth happens.
What kind of dental problems can an overbite cause?
- Difficulty chewing
- Difficulty speaking
- Severe speech impediments
- Tired jaw muscles
- Gum disease
- Tooth decay
- Damaged tooth enamel
- Soft tissue damage
- Increased risk of front tooth damage
Save up to $1,000 on Invisalign orthodontic treatment to correct an overbite.
We accept insurance, financing, HSA, and FSA.
Treatment Options for an Overbite
Invisalign is an excellent treatment option for specific levels of overbites. Depending on the severity, Invisalign helps align the teeth into position and corrects the overbite throughout treatment. Invisalign treatment involves the patient wearing custom-made, clear aligners that gradually move teeth into place. This easy to use convenient treatment provides patients with a wide range of benefits.
Benefits of Treating an Overbite with Invisalign
- Easy to clean
- Improved self-esteem
- Fewer food restrictions
- Easy to care for than standard metal braces
Tips for Treating an Overbite with Invisalign
- Wear aligners daily – Your orthodontist will provide a schedule for you to follow that involves changing the aligners about every two weeks. A vital part of making sure your treatment progresses is to wear the aligners for 22 hours per day. Generally, the only time you should remove the aligners is to eat and drink.
- Brush your teeth – You probably have been told to brush your teeth after every meal since you were a young child. However, it’s essential that you brush, floss and rinse after every meal, snack and sugary drink to prevent tooth decay. Otherwise, food particles and sugar will get trapped between your teeth and cause bacteria and plaque build up.
- Avoid damaging the aligners – Chewing on the aligners even for a few seconds can damage the custom made shape and interfere with your treatment. Every aligner is designed to gradually move teeth into a specific position so the next set of aligners can continue the treatment accordingly.
Orthodontists are frequently using Invisalign to treat overbites successfully. This convenient and discreet treatment is often a favorite choice of patients.
Do you have an overbite that needs to be corrected? Contact us today to get started!
Schedule a consultation for your overbite
Please contact Dr. Jacquie Smiles today to learn more orthodontic treatments for an overbite with Invisalign clear braces and invisible aligners by calling 212-972-3522 or filling out the contact form to receive additional information. Our office is conveniently located near 30 East 40th Street Park Avenue, New York, NY 10016.