The holiday season is quickly approaching, and that means it’s time to indulge in amazing food and treats. This time of year is the favorite of many people, but those that wear dental braces are more concerned about food getting stuck in their brackets. Sticky holiday toffee candy and other delicious chewy foods can cause brackets to break and lead to a trip to the orthodontist office. The following tips will help you enjoy delicious holiday meals while wearing braces.
- Choose Soft Foods– The great thing about holiday meals is there’s usually a variety of soft and hard foods. As a person that wears traditional or invisible braces, you want to head for the soft food options first. These foods include mashed potatoes, carrots, yams, squash plus soups, cream-based pies, and pudding.
- Soften Chewy Meats– Gravy boats are usually placed on the table during holiday meals so make sure you put them to good use. Chewy meats is a common issue for brace wearers. You don’t want to starve so you can cut the meat into small pieces and smother it with tasty gravy. Allow the gravy to soak into the meat and soften it to perfection.
- Avoid Chewy Candy– As soon as you arrive at someone’s house, they often offer candy. Unfortunately, this candy is usually sticky such as caramels. Do your best to seek out other options and stick to soft cookies, chocolates, cakes, cupcakes, and puddings.
- Chew Slowly– Attending holiday parties means you will be trying and tasting different foods. Sometimes you might get an unexpected surprise as you bite down on the food. Always chew slowly so you can detect any hidden nuts or other hard surprises.
- Carry a Toothbrush– Although you will be very careful eating there are still moments when food is going to get stuck in your braces. Always carry a toothbrush with you and brush after the meal. Another helpful tip is to use Dr. Smiles PlaqueHD toothpaste to see exactly where you need to target your brushing. This helpful toothbrush turns plaque teal green so you can easily remove it by brushing.
Dr. Jacquie Smiles began her career in orthodontics dentistry at Boston University and became the first female Director of B.U.’s Predoctoral Orthodontic Department. Since then she has become an expert in orthodontics and opened several offices in New York and New Jersey. Dr. Jacquie says, “The end of treatment is always the most rewarding when I witness how my patients sit up a little taller in my dental chair and become more confident, radiant and expressive. This feeling simply never gets old!”
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends patients with braces to brush and floss immediately after eating a meal or snack. Patients need to visit their orthodontist immediately if any issues arise before their next appointment. Do you need help with your braces? Contact us now for further assistance.
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
Contact us today for your dental checkup appointment in NYC. You may also call Dr. Jacquie Smiles at 212-972-3522. Our office is conveniently located near 30 East 40th Street Park Avenue, New York, NY 10016.