An underbite, also known as a Class III malocclusion, is a dental condition that causes the lower teeth to extend out farther than the upper teeth. This condition also gives a person the appearance of having a large lower jaw. The following information explains if Invisalign treatment with invisible clear braces is the right treatment for our NYC patients to correct an underbite.
What causes an underbite?
Underbites are inherited through genetics and often run in families. Unfortunately, there isn’t any evidence that supports any preventative measures. Generally, a person is born with an underbite and often leads to a larger jaw compared to the top jaw plus overcrowding of the teeth.
On occasion, if genetics aren’t involved, some underbites can be caused by poor habits as a child. Everyday practices that can lead to an underbite include poor chewing habits, the use of a pacifier or bottle for an extended period of time, mouth breathing, excessive thumb sucking and frequently thrusting the tongue against the teeth.
What kind of dental problems does an underbite cause?
An underbite can cause the following issues if not corrected.
- Increased risk of tooth decay
- Erosion of teeth enamel
- Gum disease
People who live in NYC already know they have an underbite need to seek care with a licensed orthodontist to correct the issue immediately. Don’t wait for symptoms to arise to get help because the older you get, the more difficult it is to treat.
Save up $1,000 on Invisalign orthodontic treatment to correct underbite teeth.
We accept insurance, financing and HSA and FSA.
Complications Caused by an Underbite
- Low self-esteem
- Altered face shape
- Misaligned teeth
- Gum disease
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty speaking
- Difficulty chewing
- Difficulty swallowing
Treatment Options for an Underbite
Treatments options depend on the severity of the underbite and the right course of treatment that is recommended by a licensed orthodontist. Available treatment options in NYC include an upper jaw expander, a chin cap, a reverse-pull face mask, surgery, tooth extraction and braces to align the teeth.
A successful treatment option that is gaining popularity among orthodontists and patient’s is Invisalign. This treatment involves the patient using custom-made, invisible clear aligners to align teeth into place gradually. Users are often comfortable and happy with using Invisalign due to the many benefits it offers. Dr. Jacquie Smiles specializes in underbite treatments for her patients in NYC with Invisalign clear aligners. Schedule your free consultation today.
Benefits of Invisalign Treatment for an Underbite
- Removable clear aligners
- Discreet treatment
- Easier to care for than standard metal braces
- Improved self-esteem
- Few food restrictions
- Easy to keep clean
Tips for Treating an Underbite with Invisalign
- Follow the treatment schedule – Orthodontists create custom made aligners for each patient. The aligners are changed to the next set about every two weeks unless otherwise instructed by an orthodontist. The treatment schedule gradually aligns teeth and help the issue improve over the course of time until the underbite is corrected.
- Brush after every meal – Removing your aligners before eating or drinking is mandatory to avoid damaging the aligners. It’s also essential that you brush, floss and rinse after every meal to avoid getting food particles stuck between your teeth and the Invisalign aligners.
- Wear the aligners as recommended – The general recommendation is for patients to wear the aligners for 22 hours per day. Usually the only time they should be removed is to eat or drink.
Do you have an underbite that needs to be corrected? Contact Dr. Jacquie Smiles today to get started!
Schedule a Consultation for Your Underbite Teeth
Please contact Dr. Jacquie Smiles today to learn more orthodontic treatments with Invisalign clear braces and invisible aligners by calling 212-972-3522 or filling out the contact form to receive additional information. Our office is conveniently located near 30 East 40th Street Park Avenue, New York, NY 10016.