According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, children need to visit a pediatric dentist by their first birthday or when their first tooth appears. This means you can start searching for a pediatric dentist prior to your child’s first birthday so you are ready when the time comes. The following tips will help you choose a trustworthy pediatric dentist in NYC.
What does pediatric dentistry do?
- Repairs cavities
- Repairs tooth defects
- Conducts oral exams
- Risk assessment for cavities
- Deals with teeth grinding
- Addresses thumb sucking and pacifier use
- Assesses normal tooth development
- Provides preventative care such as cleanings, fluoride treatment, and sealants
- Recognizes the need for orthodontics treatments
- Prevents gum disease and gingivitis
- Cares for fractured teeth and knocked-out teeth
- Teaches your child to follow a dental hygiene routine to prevent cavities and other issues
Finding the Right Pediatric Dentist
There are plenty of pediatric dentists in NYC but you don’t want to choose the first one you hear about, it’s best to do some research before trusting your child’s dental care to a stranger.
- Ask family and friends – Begin your search for the best pediatric dentist in NYC by asking family and friends that have children. They will provide insight into either a good dentist or tell you the ones to avoid. Always take their comments seriously when a negative comment is made about a specific dentist. You don’t want your child to receive the same bad service their child experienced.
- Ask your pediatrician – Chances are your pediatrician knows an excellent pediatric dentist. Once you receive a referral from your pediatrician contact the dentist office to make an appointment. You can also ask other mother’s who have also been referred by the same pediatrician their opinion about the dentist.
- Search online – In today’s world, everything is researched online. Put your investigative skills to work and search for the best pediatric dentists in NYC. Once you receive the results make a list of the offices you like the best then research each one. Make sure the dentist has completed two years of residency and training for pediatric dentistry.
- Visit the dentist office – Most pediatric dentist offices are decorated to be festive and calming for children. The waiting room usually has coloring books and toys to keep the children busy while they wait. When you visit the office observe the waiting room and front desk area for cleanliness. Also, observe the behavior and interaction between the staff and patients. You are looking for a clean office that has friendly professional staff members.
- Choose three options – Once you visit each office narrow your choice down to three options. Base your decision on important factors such as licensing, interaction with staff, conditions of the office and reviews from previous patients.
A pediatric dentist office needs to feel welcoming, entertaining, calming, clean and has a friendly staff that works well with children. A staff member that is fun and friendly compared to one that is rushing and rude can make a big difference to your child. Choose the dentist that will make your child the happiest and provide the best pediatric dental care in NYC.
Pediatric Orthodontics Consultation in NYC
Dr. Jacquie Smile provides pediatric orthodontics and dentistry for children in NYC. She specializes in Invisalign braces to straighten teeth, preventative care, correct overbite issues, first dental visits and fix other problems that may be affecting your child’s smile. Our team of orthodontist specialists in NYC can help your child fix common dental problems and prevent any future issues that may arise.
To schedule a pediatric orthodontist appointment for your child in our NYC office, conveniently located in Orange County near30 E 40th St Ste 102, New York, NY 10016, please contact our office by calling us at 212-972-3522 or fill out the contact form to receive more information.